9.11.2014

Never Forget

13 years ago I was a senior in high school. During my first period class I received a note to go to the counselors office to discuss a issue with my schedule. I walked down there and sat to wait to talk to my counselor. As I waited I heard the radio that the secretary was listening to. I started listening and didn't believe what I was hearing. They were talking about planes crashing into buildings in New York city, the secretary started talking to others about how this couldn't be real. Was this a joke? But how could they report something so serious and have it be fake? It wasn't a joke, it happened and many innocent people died. That day seemed so surreal, still does in away.

I won't forget where I was and what I was doing that day. I also will never forget the way I looked at the community around me. For several weeks afterward you could drive through any neighborhood and American flags would be lining the streets. It was amazing to me, someone who was not quite an adult, to see people come together in that way. I didn't know anyone who lost loved ones but it didn't matter, they were Americans and so were we. People came together as Americans despite many differences and I look to that time as one I hope we can return to as a nation. "One nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

This morning I told my husband I was conflicted as to which flag to hang up. BYU plays tonight and I usually hang the Y flag for game day. But as I walked with my oldest to school I had the thought that I'm an American first, no matter what else. I also saw a creative option and followed suit when I got home.

"How little do my countrymen know what precious blessings they are in possession of, and which no other people on earth enjoy!" - Thomas Jefferson

No comments:

Post a Comment